Writer: Steve Byrns, 325-653-4576, email@example.com
Contact: Lisa Brown, 325-396-4787, firstname.lastname@example.org
MENARD – The Texas A&M AgriLife Extension Service will conduct the Multi-County Land and Livestock Conference Dec. 1 in the Murchison/Whitehead Youth Complex, located on U.S. Highway 190 in Menard.
The conference starts with registration from 8-8:30 a.m. with the program from 8:30 a.m.-3:30 p.m.
“This is an effort among the AgriLife Extension offices in Concho, Menard and McCulloch counties,” said Lisa Brown, AgriLife Extension agent in Menard County.
“It will include quite a mix of topics ranging from wild pig abatement legalities to watershed management with some range health and livestock topics added to complete the day.”
Five Texas Department of Agriculture continuing education units — one laws and regulations, one integrated pest management and three general –will be offered.
Registration, which includes lunch, is $20 for individuals and $30 for couples by Nov. 23 and $25 and $40 respectively thereafter. To RSVP call any of the AgriLife Extension offices in the following counties: Menard, 325-396-4787; McCulloch, 325-597-1295; or Concho, 325-732-4304.
Topics and speakers will include:
– Wild Pig Damage Abatement: What’s Legal and What’s Not?, Dr. John Tomecek, AgriLife Extension wildlife specialist, San Angelo.
– Watershed Management, Billy Kniffen, AgriLife Extension water resource specialist, retired, Menard.
– Range Herbicide Update and Common Herbicide Use Mistakes, Dr. Bob Lyons, AgriLife Extension range specialist, Uvalde.
– Cattle Market Outlook and Livestock Risk Protection, Bill Thompson, AgriLife Extension economist, San Angelo.
– Oak Wilt and Drought Stress on Trees, Dr. David Appel, AgriLife Extension program leader for plant pathology, College Station.
– Native versus Improved Pasture, Rode Mills, U.S. Department of Agriculture Natural Resources Conservation Service, rangeland management specialist, McCulloch County.
The conference will conclude with program evaluations and the awarding of the continuing education unit certificates.