“We’ve got to abandon the politics of anxiety characterized by wild-eyed proposals.”
Texas Insider Report: WASHINGTON, D.C. — “Instead of having something that makes a Twitter hashtag and gets you on Rachel Maddow, we need to have something that fires people up and is a policy position we can actually defend,” warned Democrat Sen. Chris Coons of his party’s growing push to abolish the Immigration & Customs Enforcement (ICE) agency, which enforces the nation’s immigration laws.
- Several 2020 Democrat presidential front-runners have come out in favor of abolishing ICE, and
- “Progressive Caucus” House Democrats failed Wednesday in their effort to pass a long-shot bill to abolish the agency
- More than 150 State & Local Democrat Officials nationwide have signed an open letter calling for abolishing ICE and ending “rampant immigration enforcement.”
“Abolish ICE is too easily mocked as open borders and no law enforcement,” Coons said.
“If we as a Democratic Party are going to move from a minority party dedicated to the resistance, to (become) a majority that is capable of governing, we have got to move from grievance to optimism,” Coons said recently, according to U.S. News & World Report.
“And we’ve got to abandon a politics of anxiety that is characterized by wild-eyed proposals, and instead deliver ideas and practical solutions,” said Coons, expressing worry that his party is alienating moderate voters by moving too far to the left.
- RELATED: Marxists, Extreme Radicals Seek To Take Over The Democratic Party
- RELATED: ‘Abolish ICE’ Vandals Throw Brick Through GOP Office Window, Leave Graffiti
“40% of voters self-identify as pragmatic or moderate. We cannot abandon them,” said Coons, referring to the abolish ICE effort as being counterproductive.
Coons’ caution comes as the far-left Democratic base is pressuring the party’s leaders to endorse a radical immigration agenda.
Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez, a 28-year-old socialist who upset incumbent Democratic New York Congressman Joe Crowley, said in a June interview with The Intercept that she envisions a deep scaling back of immigration enforcement.
Since then, Democratic National Committee chair Tom Perez has said Ocasio-Cortez “represents the future of the party.”
The post Democrat Senator: “Abolish ICE is too Easily Mocked as Open Borders & No Law Enforcement” appeared first on Texas Insider.
Source: Texas Politics