Texas Insider Report: WASHINGTON, D.C. — “If this demand is not met by the State of New Mexico in one week’s time, the County of Otero will take action itself… Otero County will also consider litigation in regards to the State of New Mexico for failing to follow though on its constitutional duties toward the people of Otero County,” said County Commission Chairman Couy Griffin earlier this week, after the county declared a “State of Emergency” and called on New Mexico Gov. Michelle Lujan Grisham to re-deploy the National Guard.
New Mexico Governor Michelle Lujan Grisham ordered the removal of most of her state’s National Guard Troops from its Border Security Assistance Mission in February.
This, along with the recent and growing surge of illegal immigrants from Central American, forced Border Patrol executives to shut down internal checkpoints in the state after it was forced to move resources to the border in order to process, care for, and transport the migrants.
Governor Lujan Grisham said recently,
“I reject the federal contention that there exists an overwhelming National Security Crisis at the Southern Border, along which are some of the safest communities in the country.”
Otero County officials appear to disagree. The emergency declaration passed the Commissioners Court by unanimous vote.
In March, Border Patrol officials temporarily shut down interior checkpoints where agents routinely find drugs and “human cargo” being smuggled into the nation’s interior.
On Monday, officials in Las Cruces, New Mexico, reported that Border Patrol Agents had — over the previous 10-days — released nearly 1,600 illegal immigrants in their community.
Border Patrol officials said they began releasing apprehended immigrants in its El Paso Sector on Friday, April 12th.
The releases began as the sector reached its breaking point, with 1,000’s of Central American immigrant families crossing the border illegally into areas reaching from West Texas to the New Mexico boot heel.
Las Cruces city officials said they have spent $75,000 for humanitarian assistance since being forced to set up a temporary network of shelters to house the “asylum seekers” while they attempt to arrange transportation into other parts of the U.S.
Mayor Ken Miyagishima told local newspapers that most of the migrants move out quickly.
“75% of them are gone. We could handle 200, but not 200 a day,” said Miyagishima, explaining that the city had been providing services and resources to approximately 250 people at any given time.
“That’s why I’m thinking if Sanda Fe can do 150 to 200 every three days, it is more manageable.”
The mayor made arrangements with the cities of Santa Fe and Albuquerque, New Mexico to take the migrants on a rotating basis.
New Mexico Homeland Security Department officials expect more “asylum seekers” to continue being dropped off in Las Cruces “for several more weeks.”
Nearly 1,200 were dropped off by Border Patrol agents during the first week alone.
The post Border Patrol Releases 1,600 Illegal Immigrants in New Mexico Over 10 Days appeared first on Texas Insider.
Source: Texas Politics